Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Real Life Toy Story

I'm sure a lot of you moms are in the same boat as me concerning Toy Story. It's everywhere and the kids are just crazy about Woody, Jessie and Buzz.

However, these dolls are so super expensive. So I came up with my own alternative. Not as high class as the real dolls, but my little toddler doesn't know the difference and has absolutely loved them.
He has taken his new little friends EVERYWHERE, to bed, to dinner, to the car, and into his little cardboard house. And when his little brother is crying, he'll even share them to to make him feel better. sweet.
The process is simple and I even got to try out a new technique. Here's how:

1. Cut 8 1/2 x 14 in pieces of both simple white fabric and freezer paper. Since I made 3 dolls, I cut 3.

2. Iron the fabric onto the freezer paper. Take your time with this step. Make sure the fabric is fully bonded to the paper without wrinkles or air spots. Especially check the ends; you don't want them to unstick as the piece goes through the printer.

3. I did a Google image search for the pictures. Then I copy & pasted them onto a word document to make them as big I wanted. Note: make sure you specify Toy Story Woody. geez. Then one by one, feed the fabric through the printer. The start can be tricky but if the end easily goes through the printer, then you're home safe. The Buzz messed up a little but I quickly canceled the print so I could salvage the fabric. I ironed the end again it worked on the second try. Here are all three:
4. Cut equal sized pieces of the plain white fabric for the back and pin together. Cut the images out. It's important to have plain fabric pinned so that the front and back are identically cut for sewing.

5. With right sides together, sew the front and back together, leaving an opening for stuffing.
6. Turn right side out and begin stuffing. Hand sew the opening closed.

And that's it, you're finished! I got this done in one nap time. The one negative of this project is that I used normal ink. So there will be no washing of these dolls because the ink will wash off. I'm not too concerned about it though. And I'm not totally sure but I think there is fabric printer ink out there somewhere.

Happy playtime Isaac!

2 comments:

KillerB said...

I swear, Rockie-- you have the cutest kiddos!

Another plus to these great toys is that they're soft so kids can sleep with them too (unlike those hard plastic dolls) Great idea!

emily bennett said...

Rockie--

I've been wanting to make iron-on shirts for the longest time, for our kids. I guess this is how you kinda do it? I'm the kind of person who will try something like this if I see someone else do it. SO. Hint-hint ;)

I mean, I know I can google it myself, but I feel like it's so much easier "watching" you make it, step by step. I saw someone make a print on picnick or whatever that site is, and iron it onto t baby onesie. I think it was Allison R. But I'm too chicken to try it.

Love this idea for sure!

Emily

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails